Monday, February 19, 2007

F-ing Soleus!

When I was at the Olympic Training Center last year, I worked a lot with Bobby McGee, (www.BobbyMcGee.com), and he taught me a lot about running, and the technical parts of it. Besides teaching me the importance of body position and cadence, he taught me that running fast is all about the soleus muscle, in the calf. It's definitely true, as anytime you have sore calves after running fast, it's your soleus.

What I've learned on my own is that the soleus muscle is a real pain in the ass! If it's in a bad mood, you can forget about running fast, and maybe forget about running in general.

Last week the soleus was starting to bother me. Thursday I was on the table with my massage therapist, Friday morning ART guru Dan Selstad, and two more sessions scheduled on it in the next 36 hours!

One of the things I've been most excited about this year so far has been my health. I've been consistent in my training, and healthy. Then the soleus starts copping an attitude! DAMN IT!

Got in the run yesterday, but it was a SLOW 1:50. It was not because of the soleus though, so I should probably be thankful. It had a lot more to do with Saturday's HUGE ride and crappy t-run. So I'm taking it as a blessing that I felt like crap, and was not able to irritate the soleus anymore.

In other news, it's raining today and the weather sucks. Yes, I live in San Diego and I am actually complaining about the weather! Rain sucks!

The good news for today is that everything has been confirmed, and I will be heading back to the country of Panama for the Portobelo International Triathlon! This race is gnarly! Stay tuned for more cool info on that.

L8r...

Vance - 2007 NFA

No comments: