Thursday, March 6, 2008

Wednesday in Saipan

My plane landed in Saipan, at about 1 AM, and my homestay Dawn was gracious enough to pick me up at that crazy hour! Her husband John had to get up early in the morning to go on a day-long fishing trip, so she was solo. It was a good thing too, because I was traveling with a double bike case, new Zoot travel bag, (which is AWESOME!), Zoot backpack, and a wheel bag since the 4 wheels couldn't fit into the box!

I got up early on Wednesday morning, and headed out for a two hour run to start the day. Of course, it is HOT AS HECK here, so this run was going to be a challenge. I started off conservative and it was a good idea! My heartrate was elevated quite a bit, right from the start. I was struggling from the travel, lack of sleep and the heat.

I was able to complete the two hours, thanks to carrying a water bottle, (first time I've ever done that), and made a stop at half-way at a store for water. I finished my run down by an area called "The Tank", where some old World War II Japanese tanks are out in the water, and people swim around or to them. I hopped in the water for an easy 15 mins of floating, and easy swimming. I couldn't believe how warm the water was. Seriously, it was almost bath temperature!

I got in some recovery foods, and headed out for an easy ride, (well, it was supposed to be). I decided to pre-ride some of the XTERRA bike course, and wow...that's about all I have to say about that. I'll let some of these pictures do the talking...


This is a view from early in the course. The island you see is Managaha.

Another view...Same cliff...

Plenty more to come...Just settling in still. Check out my training log for more details. Looks like rain for the race.

Vance

No comments: