Monday, June 16, 2008

Lone Survivor again..

If you've been following this blog, you know I'm a big fan of the Navy Seals, (many friends in San Diego who are Seals), and of course a big fan of Marcus Luttrell's book, Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10. Marcus and his twin brother Morgan are good friends of mine, who I've had the pleasure of spending some time with. In fact, normally my boy JT, (a Seal as well), is a part of my support crew, but he is in Iraq right now. (Love ya bro! Hope you're safe and reading this!) It was thru JT that I met Marcus and Morgan.

Last year's race was an especially hard one for me here in Coeur d'Alene. I had learned of my friend's death, Jim McCann, during the week of the race. Then during the race I suffered a bee-sting to the chest, near mile 25 of the bike. Did I mention I'm allergic? JT wasn't able to make, and it made for a tough time for my wife.

I had read Marcus' book and promoted it on here for a few weeks, and it was amazing how much of that book rang thru my mind while I went thru agonizing pain and suffering. The book is an incredible story about endurance, be it physical, mental, or spiritual.

So this year, with JT gone to Iraq, and me in need of a replacement for my support crew, I asked Marcus. In typical Marcus fashion, he responded, "Just name the time and place, and I'll be there!" Marcus will be joining us, (Orlanda and I), and helping as my support crew. It's great to have guys like he and JT around, because they treat it like a mission, and keep their cool. It also helps me, as I know if I need anything done, they take care of it, so I can concentrate on relaxing and racing. They help keep Orlanda calm, and even me calm. It's hard to get nervous about a race, when you know these guys are used to going into battles, knowing it could be their last. It helps me keep perspective, and makes me fearless. (It also helps that they're big, strong boys to carry me if I need it after the race!)

This will be Marcus' first Ironman experience, witnessing one of the coolest races on the circuit.

If you're going to be in the Coeur d'Alene area for the race, check out the news on Friday evening, as Marcus is scheduled to have an interview with the local anchors on KXLY. They found out he was coming here, and wanted to do an interview with us.

Today, Monday, is my day off this week. Have a massage and just getting some work done for some clients. Otherwise relaxing. Stay tuned for more updates this week.

Vance

2 comments:

barndog said...

surrounding yourself with good people. smart man. we're pulling for you.

Mary Eggers said...

My husband and I just read Marcus' book .... well I ahve read it 3 times now. It's the best thing I have ever read. The guy is going to watch the Ironman and call everyone wimps! He did that every darn day in Seals School! HA HA!

GOOD LUCK! ENJOY YOUR DAY!