Thursday, December 28, 2006

A few thoughts for the new year...

The new year is coming up, and no doubt you're getting excited about the races, back to training, and your schedule. I was sitting, reflecting on some lessons I've learned and how I need to remember them for next year. Here's what I came up with, and I hope they help you.

- Though we measure champions by the titles they win, they show their champions by overcoming obstacles and tough times, many of which we never know about, or get to see from the outside looking in. When you're facing tough times in 2007, because they will happen, be a champion.

- Injuries can be a blessing in disguise.

- Don't be afraid to ask for help, you never know what it can do for you until you try it. I asked Peter Reid for help, and he did more for me than I ever could have imagined.

- When your motivation is lacking, or you think you're too tired to get in the next workout, just focus on getting out the door. Don't think about anything beyond getting your clothes on for your run, ride or swim, and getting out the door to start it. You never finish 100% of the workouts you don't start.

- Set goals. Don't be afraid to reach higher than you've ever reached. If you're satisfied with what you've already done, it's time to move on to a new challenge.

- Make a motivational poster, and put it where you can read it everyday, to remind yourself of your goals.

- Lastly, avoid negative people, and conversely, associate more with positive people.

Have a happy new year!

Vance

No comments: