Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Return to training...

So I'm back from Vegas, and back in the swing of things, sort of. Earned an Ironman title with the level of partying I did in Vegas! 16 guys, and I was the last man standing at his own bachelor party! Impressive, but I've been sleeping a lot now!

Pete has got me on a one-workout per day only plan. Kind of nice, because it helps me get back into things slowly, and hopefully injury free. It also allows me a lot more free time to get things done which are totally unrelated to training, (like my wedding and coaching!)

Training right now for all my clients is similar, except they train more than once a day on a few days of the week. For them, the focus in December is all about technical development. This includes swimming, biking, running and even transition work. Volume and intensity are secondary. There are no intervals really this month, or tempo runs, etc.

If you're reading this, and hammering out volume right now, I would suggest backing off and doing something more along these lines. With the holidays coming up, little to no racing happening anywhere, this is not a time for training to be at the top of your priority list. Keep your workouts fun, and with a specifc technical focus, and enjoy swimming, biking and running! Use them to alleviate a little stress, but save the big efforts for 2007. Enjoy time with your family, friends, eating junk food, etc. Not too many times can you get that kind of green light!

Enjoy yourself...

Vance

1 comment:

planepapa said...

Jim, Was hoping to see Florida races on your schedule next year but no such luck. Congratulations on your wedding! and surviving so well the bachelor party. I just spoke to your mother's brother's wife (Glenda and Charlie Ritter) and was disappointed to learn they are not going to be able to make it to your wedding. I am Glenda's cousin. Glenda had mentioned 2 weeks ago about your web site so I checked it out. I am a big sports fan of all sports and we have a couple of marathoners where I work and one IronMan competitor was working here until a few months ago. Will you or any of your athletes in training anticipate qualifying for the Olympics in China? Doug & Nancy DeLisle 1900 NW 82nd Terrace Pembroke Pines, FL 33024 d_n_del@bellsouth.net