Friday, August 24, 2007

As fit as my last workout...?

The title seems to say it all. I'm tired from the last week of big training, my 3rd in a row, and I have to be careful not to let my training results be the main factor in determining how fit I think I am. If I do, then my race in Wisconsin will depend on the results of the last workout before the race. Of course, we all want positive results in our training, but sometimes the body is tired, and it must be respected.

Wednesday was my big 3x2 mile workout, and it went really well! Times have improved DRAMATICALLY over the last 3 weeks of doing it, and it definitely builds your confidence.

This morning was a swim workout which started off so badly, I about got out. But I was still making the intervals, so I stuck it out. Good thing too, because as the workout got harder, with less rest, I actually got faster! It's funny how my attitude went from doubting myself early in the workout to feeling pretty good about my fitness. Again, this is where I have to be careful. But this workout also shows one of the great things about Ironman training and especially racing. That is, the race is so long, you can come back strong in it!

Last weekend I got my body fat done by Kim, (www.fuel-factor.com), and I am almost a complete carbon copy of who I was right before Ironman Coeur d'Alene. That's good news. I am actually a couple pounds lighter, but I think it was mostly hydration.

This weekend is the final major training weekend, with the taper starting on Monday. Today is the swim, a big bike trainer workout, and a steady run, (in the new Zoot shoes! More on this in upcoming posts). Tomorrow will be a ride up to the Swami's ride, for the short loop and home, (about 4 hours total), with a 40 min steady paced transition run. Sunday will be a longer run, with the local 4 mile race here in the middle of it. I'll warm-up about 4 or 5 miles to the start line in La Jolla, then run the race back to Pacific Beach, adding on afterward to get the time I need in.

Later on Sunday will be a short trainer spin and another easy jog of about 30 mins. I'll also be watching Ironman Canada and Louisville online.

Looking forward to the taper, and then focusing on Ironman Wisconsin. Hope everyone's training is going well!

Vance - 2007 NFA

1 comment:

arthur said...

Hey Jim!

It's great to read your posts. Let us know how the Zoot shoes go. I'm a bit of a shoe fanatic...

Regards,
Arthur