Thursday, February 18, 2010

Setbacks

It was bound to happen at some point, and it has happened. I have had a couple of injuries so far, and the latest one is really frustrating.


The first injury was a piriformis issue in my right butt, and it was annoying, but I was able to ride without any real issue and swim fine. Running was the only challenge, and after a week off from running, I really hadn't missed much. In fact, one week later I was running again and had a 10 mile run that was making me feel like my old self again! And I mean old self as in back in the day of my running prowess! I was just clicking off sub-6 pace for a few miles, and it wasn't anything.

Then I did this Tri Club of San Diego duathlon last Saturday, and the run course was brutal. 1 mile downhill to 1 mile uphill. Everything was going great, and suddenly on the second run during the downhill, the right calf really tightened up on my, and I quickly decided to stop and walk.

I couldn't believe how it came on so unnoticed. In the past I could always look back and see some clear signs, but this one really didn't have that. I had healed up and the therapy had been great since my piriformis injury, but this one just came out of no where.

I've been able to balance it fairly well with a lot of time spent on work, and trying not to let it get me down. Even though I am not racing for money and letting my training and results control my happiness, I was really beginning to feel like my old self and enjoying training again. It was actually fun again! And when you can't go out and have fun, it's hard on you.

So I am back getting a lot of therapy, making getting healthy be my number one training priority, and hoping to step up my swimming in the meantime. As soon as the calf allows, I'll also be putting time back in the weight room.

Only 2 weeks from Sunday until my first race back. We will see how that goes. Probably won't be running until Monday at the earliest, which will mean 8 days off of running, and about 6 days off the bike.

Wish me luck!

Vance

5 comments:

Mike Russell said...

Chin up Jim. You are in much better shape than the majority of triathletes right now. You are a rock...

D a v e P said...

Heal up Jim. The year is still very young.
Going through my own minor setback at the moment.

pacadi said...

Sorry to hear that, Jim! But it'll come around. I don't know you that well but I can't imagine you're not a fighter and I can even less imagine you not coming through!

Post-doc, PhD said...

You're a really tough guy, Jim. I know an AMAZING acupuncturist who has worked wonders for me and shortened my recovery time from injury. Let me know if you want his info.

johnny hammer said...

Hope this leaves you time to mend for the West cup race in Vegas